Friday, August 27, 2010

Deewane Kyun …

The other day we’d invited few friends over for dinner and while we were exploring my Yamaha MM-6 synthesizer I played them the song “Karo Thoda Intezaar” which I had composed for the great Kishore Kumar on his 81st birth anniversary. After I was done playing, they asked me – “Hey, did you compose the song before laying down the track?” - And amazingly so we all said together “Well that’s what happens most of the times. Doesn’t it? ” But later that triggered something in my mind.


I started thinking could I possible pick up an existing track or pattern on the Keyboard and compose a song from it. So I picked the default Instrument Voice built in the keyboard “Power Grand” and the default pattern “SouthernRap1”. Then there is an option called “Finger”. What that does is, you can just select a key on the left half portion of the keyboard and it would automatically figure out the chord. So if you placed your finger on the Key ‘C’, then it would consider that as playing the ‘C’ chord and match it up with the other instruments such as drums, guitar, etc. And that was the starting point.

The toughest part was to figure the remaining chords while I was singing the song and later when I composed the “Antra” without matching the progression from the synthesizer it was especially tough to figure out the corresponding chords. Then I added some variations within the Pattern to switch it from pattern A to pattern B to pattern C during different portions of the song. But even now I am not totally happy with the way I placed the background score for the “Antra”.

Anyway, the idea was not to create a great composition, but rather a simple composition with just the basic features of the keyboard. Bottomline, as I had mentioned earlier the intent of this blog is not to represent just my songs but also to let others know that song composition is not totally unachievable. I couldn’t believe I could do what I am doing now just a couple years ago and now I feel fairly satisfied with the songs I am putting together. So if you happen to whistle or humm an unknown tune don’t let it slide. Pay attention, try to record it or perform it for your loved ones. They may have some inputs too as there is a musician in each one of us; Or else we wouldn’t have been able to tell a good song from a bad song, Or relate one song to another and figure out that they sound similar or that they hold the same aura.

For now enjoy this song and provide me your inputs on what variations you think should have been added to the song to make it peppier or catchy, etc, etc.

Here are the lyrics along with the guitar chords for those who might be interested in playing the song themselves. I may have got some chords wrong. So, if you think any other chords fit well, let me know.

You can play the song from the Player at the very end of the lyrics or from the Playlist on the right hand side –

[Mukhda]

A# G# A# G#

A# G# A#
Hum huye bhala yun deewane kyun

A# G# A#
Gum hai tere khayalon mein najane kyun

F# G# A#
Geeton mein saason mein, Dil mein basi hai tu

F# G# A#
Yaad satati hai hurdum, Ab aa bhi jaa tu

[1st Antra]
G# F# A# G#
Aaye tu sab jagmagaye, Jaye to kuch bhi na bhaye

G# F# A# G#
Har waqt hum maifilon mein , Nagme tumhare hi gaye

G# A#
Ab karun kya main, Kya na karun

G# A#
Dil ki halat hai, Kya main kahun

G# A#
Ab to chain , Aaye na raat din

F# G# A#
Aur jiya lage na, Tere bin, Oh oh

[Repeat Mukhda]

Hum Huye Bhala Yun Deewane Kyun.mp3


No comments: